Monday, 13 February 2012

Lost In Lace.

So I finally got around to seeing the Lost in Lace exhibition at the Gas Hall in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, a week before it closes. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I loved it! The artists involved had each created an amazing, unique piece of modern art using highly developed craft techniques, based around the influence of lace.


 I also thought the layout worked really well, a tangle of intricate pieces, some staggered together, others tucked around corners, without the room seeming cluttered, as all the pieces complimented each other. If you get the chance you should definitely check this exhibition out before it closes on 19th February. I decided not to do drawings whilst I was at the exhibition, as this is what I usually do and I have found that it doesn't actually help me. Instead I just allowed myself to be inspired by the pieces, and came away with some awesome new ideas for drawings and ceramic forms.


I forgot to take my camera, so here are some images from the website:
Suzumi Noda - 'Juxtaposition'.

Anni Bascoul - 'Moucharabieh' and 'Jardin de lit, lit de jardin'.

Chiharu Shiota - 'After the Dream'.
Katharina Hinsberg - 'Percieds'.




Whilst visiting the museum I also got a chance to look around the other collections, including some amazing ceramics and metal pieces, and some really inspiring drawings, which have definitely given me some ideas for the new project.


 Kennet - an illustration by William Morris.


Puberty - by Chad Mccail.

People I Know - Alice - by Gemma Anderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment