Thursday, 28 February 2013

Mid Term Review.

A few weeks ago I had to put my work up for a mid-term review to show where I was at with my project so far, so I thought I would share some photos here too. I made 4 development boards showing my ideas, inspiration and sampling so far.









I also needed to hand in all my back up work - sketchbooks, technical notes, contextual files and colour ideas, as well as any sample products I had made so far (like my explorer quilt and knitted cushion).
Here is the work as I presented it on my desk:














Monday, 25 February 2013

What I Did Last Week.

I spent last week developing ways of combining my scene images with my map idea, for a better composition. I have been playing around with scale and pattern in my drawings. I also bought an embroidery pen (it allows you to draw on fabric so you you know where you want to sew, but after a couple of days, the ink fades and disappears from the fabric), and my sewing machine allowed me to do some freehand embroidery without freaking out and jamming. This week I'm planning to make a new screen to do some quilting with, and explore some possible colour palettes.







   



Sunday, 24 February 2013

Explorer quilt.

For my mid-term review I decided to put a few of my stitch and print samples together to experiment with the idea of making a map quilt for children. I really like the stitchwork, and the left and middle scenes, but the idea definitely needs some development before I make the final product.I have been told to look at Japanese woodblocks and quilts for inspiration, as my work has a traditional feel, though I still want it to have a contemporary edge, possibly through colour. What do you think?








Saturday, 23 February 2013

Knitted Cushion.

As part of my project creating home-ware for children's rooms I decided to explore using fair isle and intarsia to knit cushions showing scenes that I have featured in my screen-printing and stitch, working from my drawings. The first image shows squares that I knitted, looking at how different pattern ideas that I had designed could be used to portray a landscape. The second image shows an intarsia pattern that I designed of Dartmouth castle, working from drawings and photographs. To develop this I would definitely use a more refined colour pattern, possibly dyeing my own wool to achieve more sophisticated colours, this experiment just used some cheap DK wool I managed to get. Let me know what you think!



Friday, 22 February 2013

Instagram.

I have finally got into using instagram, so I wanted to share a few of my latest photos. I have been using my phone camera a little more lately, as my camera had to go off for repair. Enjoy!









Playing around with potato prints, drawing maps, making heart bracelets for valentines day, snowy and summery days, Christmas lights, stitching, and a forest path.