Monday, 26 August 2013

Bilberries.

We spent the first day of the bank holiday weekend up in the Quantocks, where we picked bilberries, which I had never had before but can now say are very tasty! Smaller than blueberries, and very sweet, they take a lot of work to pick many, but are definitely worth it, especially for free! We managed about 800g, and can't wait to make something yummy.

^^With views like this I don't mind too much being back in Somerset for a while!

^^Slightly stained hands, but oh well!
^^Don't worry under-ripened blackberries, we will be back for you when you are ready!
Yep, free, healthy food in the middle of nowhere is the best! 

P.S - just a warning - don't pick berries unless you know what they are, some things are just poisonous.

4 comments:

  1. this looks so lovely!! I'm not an outdoorsy person at all but lately I've just been dying to go somewhere far far far away from city life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean, it can feel so great to get into the countryside after being cooped up in a city for a while! Hope you will find somewhere fun to explore :)

      Delete
  2. Is there anything more wonderful than delicious, wild, free food?! I always fancied myself a city girl, until I spent a year living in the countryside and discovered it's many wonders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free food that's so natural and unpolluted is definitely the best! Its so easy to forget how much fun the countryside can be when you are in the city!

      Delete